Monday, May 2, 2011

Simplifying

Life has many stages, and right now we are in a "simplifying stage." I was feeling reflective today, so I thought I would write about it. Jason and I now have a new place to call home . In our journey to the mission field we are at an in-between stage--we have moved out of our rental house and are now in missionary housing. We have everything we need in our new home thanks to God and the very gracious and sweet lady who provided it. All our furniture is in storage and now I have lots and lots of bags and boxes to go through. Ugh.







We are very blessed to have all that we do, don't get me wrong.  But at the same time, I'm ashamed of how much stuff I have accumulated over the years.  I now have the challenge laid before me--clean up the mountains of "stuff"--and in 1 week at that!  So . . .in an effort for speed and accountability, I will be tracking my progress of clean up on here .  I know I don't need even half of what I have and will be ruthless in my endeavors!  No sentamentality here folks!  

I'm looking forward to getting everything simplifed down.  I wonder what it would be like to live with only what you need?  To be able to carry all you own on your back?  What a crazy concept in America, huh? 
Who knows, one day I might find out! 

Here I go . . . off to make a dent in the mountains of stuff!

PS--I know that probably no one evens reads this, but if you do, words of encouragement for the weary-of-[cleaning]-heart, are always welcome.  :)

4 comments:

  1. I read it, and I think that it is a good idea. I go through our stuff all the time, and the donation bag gets full (mainly while Derek and the kids are lookign the other way). My moto, if I didn't know where it was to begin with, I don't need it. If I haven't wore it in a year, I don't need it. If I can't fit in it, I don't need it. NOW GO FORTH AND SORT!!! Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I so feel ya! We're down sizing from a 3 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom townhome, half the square feet. My mounds are thankfully getting smaller. They're still around, don't get me wrong, but little by little they're coming around. Who knew a baby took up so much space! It does make me feel better to know I'm donating most of this "stuff" to people who might could use it. But geez, imagine how much "stuff" we'd have if we were in the same house for 30 years! So hang in there, dear friend! Call if you need a pick-me-up or if you get lost in a mound! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it! I know it's a pain now, but just think how awesome you'll feel when you're done. It's literally a load off your back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can do it! :)
    i'm going through the same thing (not as intensely yet, though). i just moved into a much smaller place and can't believe, even though i've given away and sold so much, how much more i still have that i don't need!

    ReplyDelete